Hulls, razor clams, gray shrimps and flions, the foreshore which is revealed at low tide offers shore-gathering fishermen a playground for a few hours. To get the most out of it, follow these few rules!
- Un small rake or claw
- Un bucket or basket to rinse and disgorge your precious booty
- A ruler is to measure your catch (available in our tourist offices)
If you want to fish for shrimp, you will need a haveneau, or one pushy as it is called here. This net is equipped with a long handle that must be pushed low to the ground.
Gloves can be useful: it is not uncommon to find small bright, poisonous fish in the middle of the shrimp.
Le bon moment
The ideal is to start your session shore fishing 2 hours before low tide. Refer to our tide times to know the best time for your next fishing trip!
Depending on your fishing area, you will have to choose your day carefully.
From Merville-Franceville-Plage to Cabourg
- September to June: Friday to Monday inclusive, and public holidays
- In July and August: every day
Observation at low tide
Start by observing what happens on the foreshore, the strip of sand revealed by low tide.
Small jets come out of the sand, in a shallow puddle, and you wonder what you are dealing with? Observe the footprint left in the sand.
- two small holes close together in the shape of a keyhole: it is probably a knife
- two holes further apart: surely shells
Did you know?
By moving your feet in the loose sand, you have a chance of bringing the shells up without getting tired of scratching!
Be careful, your loot cannot exceed 5 kg per person.
A few tips before you go
- Respect the marine environment, minimum catch sizes, quotas and fishing seasons for each species, so as to promote sustainable fishing;
- Ask your tourist office about the dangers to avoid and any current prefectural or municipal orders;
- Find out very precisely about the times and tide coefficients, as well as the weather.
- Adapt your outfit to the weather conditions;
- Take your phone. The emergency number on the foreshore is 196;
- Do not go fishing alone or let someone know you are going.
To find out all about fishing on foot on the Côte Fleurie, to find out about the decrees in progress and the authorized zones, consult the site of shore fishing in Calvados !